HOW To Water
Expect about 45 seconds of watering at a medium to strong flow rate per gallon of the original container size. So a 7-gallon tree, about 5 minutes. A 25 gallon tree, about 20 minutes. If the mulch is dry, it’ll take 2-3 minutes just to soak the mulch, so you need much more to moisten the soil below.
You can use a strong flow if you are hand watering. Divide the mulched area up into sections – spend a minute on each, go to the next & next, then repeat. If you get run-off under the mulch but haven’t watered that much, move to another section or stop watering for a few minutes to let it soak in.
Another option is to set your sprayer on a gentle flow and leave it spraying on each section of the mulched area. Move it every 5 minutes or if you see runoff. With a gentle flow it’ll take about 1.5 to 2 minutes per gallon of the original container size to water your tree. So a 25 gallon tree, about 40-50 minutes.
Remember: It’s better to water deeply and less often than shallowly and more often.
WHERE To Water
For the first 4 months the roots will be in the area of the container, for a 25 gallon tree this is about a 2 foot diameter. Though you want to water the entire mulched area, make sure you don’t miss watering this area.
- Water in 1 week.
- If the weather remains on the warm side, water every 2 weeks until it gets cold.
- Once cold, water every month until the Spring warm-up.
- During the Spring warm-up, water every 2 weeks.
- Once the leaves are out and the weather is warm, water once per week until the weather cools off in the fall.
- In the fall, water every 2 weeks until it gets cold.
- At this point you shouldn’t need to water anymore except in hot weather dry spells. If you get one, water every 2 weeks to enhance the health of your tree.
Do I need to water in the event of RAIN?
Because the tree is new and due to the mulch, you’ll need to water even if it rains unless you get 2 inches of rain or more for the watering period.
If you have concerns about your trees health or watering, please contact me right away. If you feel your tree needs more than 1 deep watering per week in the summer, please let me know.